Hi, I am new

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      guit30
      Participant

My handle is guit30, I just joined pain community, I have had bad back pain for the last 10 years ,pain started 20 years ago. I have taken pain meds for 20 years, not so much at first, but for the last 15 years, I have been on Oxycontin or oxycodone. I have been on muscle relaxers, but not now. I have a good Doctor, He gives me 30 mg oxycodone.`I have been on the same dose for the last ten years, the pharmacy I use was real friendly to me for the 1st year and a half,now they are calling my doctor and telling him that I am on too much pain medication. My Doctor is old school, I take generic meds, wish my insurance would cover Oxycontin, but I am on medicare. I have DDD, Scoliosis, cervical stenosis, spinal stenosis, sciatica, bulging discs, radiation pain and neurapathy.
      Guit30,Jim

Noki4
      Participant

Hi Guit30, it is nice to meet you. I understand a life of back pain, I have lived half of my life time with back pain (25 years). I have Degenerative joint disease, sciatica, neuropathy, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren’s syndrome, spinal stenosis and more.

In 2016 the CDC came out with Guidelines for Prescribing Opioids due to the opioid epedemic of overdoses. Since then pharmacies have implemented new rules saying that they will not fill a prescription over a certain milligram without talking to the doctor that issues the prescription. Some pharmacists are taking it a step further and trying to talk doctors into lowing the dose of the medication and if that does not happen then they are refusing to fill the prescriptions.
      In the end it is up to your doctor to decide what dosage of medication you are on. You may find that you will have to change pharmacies if the one you are using now continues to refuse the prescriptions from your doctor.

Best of luck,
      Noki4

TPC_YaYa

Hello Guit30,

Welcome to The Pain Community (TPC). We are sorry to hear that you are having issues filling your prescriptions from your health care provider. As Noki4 mentioned this is in part due to the new guidelines that pharmacies are putting in place.

If you have tried speaking to the pharmacist and your doctor has tried and they still refuse to fill the legitimate prescription you may be best served to find another pharmacy. If this is the way you decide to go please talk to your doctor first. Many doctors who treat chronic pain have patients sign an agreement/contract stating they will only use one pharmacy and the name and location of that pharmacy is usually written in the contract.
      In order to change to another pharmacy it would need to be noted in your records by your doctor. So please continue to communicate with your doctor if you decide to seek another pharmacy.

We would like to give you the schedule for the upcoming hosted chats, the chats are held, Monday – Wednesday and Friday at 11:00 AM Eastern Time (ET).

We also have support calls every Tuesday and the schedule can be found at this link; https://paincommunity.org/tpc-outreach-support-conference-calls/

If you have any questions about the hosted chats or support calls please let us know here or you may email us at; outreach@paincommunity.org

Take Care,

TPC Yaya
      TPC Community Moderator

“The views or opinion(s) contained herein do not necessarily represent those of The Pain Community.”

terri
      Participant

Guit30,
      Did the pharmacy reach your doctor? And by any chance is the insurance company causing this issue? My father is on Medicare and they refused to cover a certain pain medication but it was not oxycodone. The big chains like CVS and Walgreens are coming up with all kinds of recommendations. Do you have any smaller independent pharmacies where you live? If so maybe you could talk to them and find out what their policies are.

guit30
      Participant

The pharmacy, rite aid, was concerned that I was getting pain meds from my internal doc, instead of pain management doc, but in my area, most pain management docs do not write scripts, they just give you epidurals, my doc ignored them and they are not calling him now,
      thanks Jim

terri
      Participant

The big chains are over stepping their bounds. I go to an independent small pharmacy.

Noki4
      Participant

Guit30,

Do I understand your last post to mean that you are now able to get your medications filled?

Noki4

guit30
      Participant

Yes, they have been filling my scripts for 2 years, think the fda has been hastling them. There is a private pharmacist and they filled my meds for years, but they started bothering harassing ,me, so I switched to rite aid they have been real nice to me.
      Jim

Noki4
      Participant

Guit30,

I am so happy to hear that you are now getting your medications filled with no hassle. We have enough to deal with on a daily basis and we don’t need anymore.

Take care,
      Noki4

FredFriend
      Participant

Welcome, Guit30. That is great that you have figured out a way to work with a different pharmacy in order to get the prescriptions you need to manage your back pain. I understand the need for a fully customized pain management program implemented with one’s own doctor to manage Scoliosis, cervical stenosis, spinal stenosis, sciatica, bulging discs, radiation pain and neuropathy as I also have all of these issues. going on. Physical therapy, massage and acupuncture are my top three treatment tools.

Again, welcome.

FredFriend

TPC_ITGirl

Welcome Guit30 – I’ve lived with back pain for 16 years now – along with a long list of other conditions. Finding treatments that help and physicians who are willing to take the time to really dig in and help you find the right combination of treatment that will help are definitely challenges. I haven’t had access to medications in many years. Like FredFriend, I use physical and massage therapy plus self-managed pacing to help control my pain. I have encountered these issues when I take an elderly lady I care for to get prescriptions after surgeries, etc. I use it as an opportunity for a teachable moment. It’s a chance to educate people that people who live with pain are just trying to find treatments that help them and sometimes that’s a medication or a medication in combination with other treatments and sometimes not a medication at all. Everyone is different and should have access to the treatments that their pain care team finds will be most helpful.

terri
      Participant

For some of us it seems like one dead end after another. Sorry to be negative. Years of physical therapy and a failed surgery. I have a nerve entrapment in my foot. No amount of massaging or PT or even surgery could fix it. I’ve been told pain management is my only answer. Lumbar Sympathic Injections have helped a little. I am still unable to function though.

DotJones
      Participant

Hi, guit30! I’m glad to hear you’re able to get your meds. My dad has back pain (granted it’s not severe) and doesn’t like taking medication, so he’s doing physical medicine and managing okay.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.