How much does distraction enter into someone recovering

Home Page Forums General Discussions on Pain How much does distraction enter into someone recovering

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Carolyn
      Participant

Hello – i have had debilitating fibromyalgia for 40 years. I am now 75. this is in response to the grandma Teresa and her grandson in pain.. I cannot seem to help myself. I complain to co-workers and family when i have a 24/7 many days in a row. I feel like if I tell someone, I will hurt less. I don’t and people are tired of listening to me. My oldest daughter died on her 33rd birthday. She was sick ever since she was born. I took her to Mayo clinic in 1991, they agreed there was much wrong with her, but no idea what to do. in 2001, her husband took her to Mayo’s. In that 10 years, they had come up with a name…Connective Tissue Disease. Meaning that she had rheaumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, lupus, sclerdoma, pulmonary fibrosis and more. She lost her job, was bedidden for months and suffered terribly. Yet she studied the Bible and made a valiant effort to stay alive.
      Even as a girl of 4, She never complained, She rode her bike,laughed and played games, became a high school cheerleader for 3 years. She graduated University of Nebraska in Journalism, she married, cared for 3 daughters, and also worked as a late night disc jockey. For years my daughter was a reporter for a western Nebraska newspaper. She loved animals and family. She was a beautiful smart young woman. So why do I complain and live to be 75 and she never complained and died at 33. Somewhere the courage to declare belief in God and Jesus made a huge difference. Being distracted helps so much, and believing in God and yourself makes a difference. When I see people pushing a child in a wheelchair – i wonder which one has the better attitude. I would appreciate your unbiased opinion as to what makes some give up and others fight for life to the very end.

Noki4
      Participant

Hello Carolyn,

I am sorry for the loss of your daughter. I feel like most people who live with health issues ask the same question you are asking. I am 55 and have lived with pain for half of my lifetime. I raised three daughters and now have grandchildren. I think for me it was the will to raise my children and now it is the will to live for my grandchildren.

Faith has played a part for me and distraction has played a huge part. I find things I can do and jump in feet first and immerse myself and try to tune the pain out even if just for a little while.

It is a hard life to live with 24/7 pain and it is hard on those around us. They want to help but don’t know how or what to do and then frustration kicks in on everyone.

Please know that I am here to talk with you.

I also have found the support calls that The Pain Community offers every Tuesday to be very helpful.
      I will share the info here in case you would like to give the calls a try. The people that are on the calls are so supportive and compassionate.
      The next call is July 30th at 7:00pm ET.

My best to you,
      Noki

TPC Outreach Support Conference Calls

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.