Cluster Migraines

Home Page Forums Specific Disorders Migraines/Headaches Cluster Migraines

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Noki4
      Participant

I have cluster migraines and when they hit, it is like being hit square on the head with a sledge hammer. Just when I think I have under control I get hit with another one, and another one and so on. I have had them to last over a month before. It can totally take over your life at times.

TPC_Opa

I have the same problem Noki. I am going to start going to a doctor outside the VA system because my PCP ignores me when I bring up the subject of headaches. I have these on a daily basis so I understand where you are coming from. Maybe one of us can find something that will help with this.

Noki4
      Participant

Hi Opa,

I was sent to a neurologist years ago and he did a scan of my head. At first he ask if I had a history of mini-strokes as there were some areas’ that showed white spots, which can be an indicator of mini-strokes. Once my daughter who is an RN and myself assured him that there was no history, he then explained that these white areas’ can in fact be due to the cluster migraines.
      His treatment was to insert a needle with medication in the back of my head where the neck starts. I was not the least bit interested in having a procedure like that done.

He advised me to try the different over the counter medications for headaches and if they become severe enough he would be happy to precede with the needle thing. I tried several and the one that I found that really worked to relieve the headaches and it worked fast was, Tylenol Rapid Release Gels 500mgs, if I immediately take the medication when I first feel the migraine starting and I lay down quietly, it usually will knock the pain back completely or enough that I can continue on with my day.

I still get the cluster migraines and sometimes will have repeated headaches 4 or 5 times a day but thankfully they seem to be slowing down a bit.

I do hope you find relief soon,

take care,
      Noki4

Hamonfire
      Participant

Hello Opa, my wife used to get terrible cluster migrains without much warning. She often explained that her vision begins to ‘close’ is the first indication of a migraine comming on. Several times she had to pull over off the road until her migraine subsided.

In the end doctors could not explain why but suspected ‘stress’ was involved. Like you she found that doctors wanted to do tests and offer pills passed on that.

I recall she also prefers Tylenol Rapid Release Gels 500mgs. It’s been at least 10 years now and I can only say that ‘exercise’ and ‘clean foods’ was enough to banish her migraines, though it took a couple of years.

Also Did you know About 75% of people with migraines get neck pain? There are some helpful remedies for those type migrains with neck pain. Hope you find relief 🙂

Hamonfire
      Participant

Hello Opa, my wife used to get terrible cluster migrains without much warning. She often explained that her vision begins to ‘close’ is the first indication of a migraine comming on. Several times she had to pull over off the road until her migraine subsided.

In the end doctors could not explain why but suspected ‘stress’ was involved. Like you she found that doctors wanted to do tests and offer pills passed on that.

I recall she also prefers Tylenol Rapid Release Gels 500mgs. It’s been at least 10 years now and I can only say that ‘exercise’ and ‘clean foods’ was enough to banish her migraines, though it took a couple of years.

Also Did you know About 75% of people with migraines get neck pain? There are some helpful remedies for those type migraines with neck pain. Hope you find relief 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.