Heat Triggered Migraines

Home Page Forums Specific Disorders Migraines/Headaches Heat Triggered Migraines

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

As summer approaches I’m dreading an increase in frequency of migraines triggered by the hot weather. I drink LOTS of water to stay hydrated, eat frequent small meals, wear a hat and carry ice packs with me when possible. Still, they seem to sneak up on me when it is most inconvenient like on a day scheduled for a family get-together or picnic with friends. Even if I’m able to head them off by taking a prescription medicine, the drugs leave me so very sleepy that I have to cancel plans anyway. On the bright side, the drugs interrupt the migraine so that it usually passes in less than a day as opposed to losing a few days to the headache. I’m interested in how others manage this type of migraine.

Noki4
      Participant

I did not know until I read your post that heat could be the cause of migraines. It doesn’t happen all the time. However, I have noticed that if I get over-heated I get this insane headache, I get very sick and the pain is so intense I can do nothing. I take OTC pain medication and go to bed. It depends on how fast I can get medication in me, get cooled down and lay down as to how long the pain stays. I will talk to my healthcare provider about this now that I know this may be what is happening.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Hi Maggie and Noki4, The summer heat does affect my migraines as well. I try to stay out of the sun or wear a sun hat (it also causes severe itching of my exposed skin) I wear a neck thingy that is a tube with water absorbent pellets inside that when soaked in water for awhile expand into a gel which stays cool. (I have found them in pharmacies and novelty stores.) wearing this around my neck when it is hot really helps. If I do get a heat related migraine I: 1)get into a cool area ASAP, fan or AC is a must at this point 2) drink a full 8 oz of water, room temp not iced 3) take BC headache powder in 8 oz of water.(it is an anti inflammatory which I have found that works best for me) 4) place a castor oil pack (straight out of the freezer) on my forehead and back of neck and lay down for about an hour. this usually will take care of it.
      I used to take RX sumatriptan but found the BC powders to work effectively and I do not get the total body aches any more that I used to get from the Sumatriptan.

Noki4
      Participant

I had what I think is a heat related migraine yesterday. I went fishing with my family. After about 3 hours I could feel the beginnings of the headache taking shape. We packed up and headed home running the AC on high in the car. We were only about 5 minutes or so from the house but by the time we arrived home it was in full blown mode. I laid down with a cool cloth on my forehead and took tylenol rapid release gelcaps. I eventually dosed off and when I awoke a couple hours later, I could still feel a twinge of the headache but I was at least able to resume life. It seems when I have this to happen that it comes on very, very fast. Do others also feel like it hits all of sudden and is intense in a matter of minutes?

TPC_YaYa

I have found that with my heat triggered migraines that coming directly out of heat into AC tends to make them go full blown fast.

If I have been in the heat and feel the twinge of the migraine beginning and can do a gradual cool down the migraine doesn’t seem to be as bad. If I am outside and one begins, I try to locate a place a few degrees cooler and stay put for a little while before moving into the AC. I think that by going from heat to cool that it is a shock to the system and that is what helps to make the migraine go full blown in a matter of minutes.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Hi everyone, interesting topic. Noki4, yes my heat related migraines come on fast and furious, sort of like from 0 – 60 in a matter of minutes. So I try to prevent them rather than have to treat them. I also find that the sun’s brightness will trigger a migraine. I live in the part of the state where we have deep blue cloudless skies most of the time. a blessing and a curse. I wear sun glasses at all times when out in the sun. and I wear my cataract sun protector glasses when the sun is extremely intense. Today driving home from Walla Walla (2.5 hour drive) the sky was overcast with a haze…I did not wear my sun glasses for the first hour and began to feel a migraine beginning…so I put the Cataract shades on an increased the AC in the car and drank some iced coffee and it did not progress into a full blown migraine. just sort of have a slight headache behind and around my eyes but not bad enough to slow me down…just annoying.
      TPC_YaYa, as always individual differences in onset, cause, and treatment persist among those of us with migraines. I applaud you for being aware of what works best for you. we are our own experiment of one.
      here’s to headache free days and enjoy the rest of the summer…stay cool, drink that water, and do what ever it is that you do for prevention if at all possible.

Noki4
      Participant

I am so thankful that I found this topic. It has made a huge difference in how often I am getting the heat triggered migraines. I now know what is happening and can get a grip on things before it gets out of control.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.