Knee effusion management

Home Page Forums Specific Disorders Other Specific Pain Disorders Knee effusion management

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Soos
      Participant

I’m 28 years old. 12 years ago I was hit by a truck. Since then, I’ve had worsening pain at the point of impact (left knee), which my doctors say is knee effusion that is Not caused by arthritis (no wear on the bones or joints on x-rays). This is despite the fact that it has certain triggers like atmospheric/weather changes, especially when it’s wet and cold. Somewhat recently, this has spread to my other knee, to my left hip, and to my left foot. The swelling is dramatic enough to effect my nerves as well as my joints. This pain consistently wakes me up at night, and is quite often worse in the mornings. Hot showers help with mobility somewhat. The knee is tender to the touch, but not hot.

Doctors will not drain the knee, and have suggested the RICE method and tylenol to control the pain. It doesn’t. Tylenol doesn’t touch it, and RICE barely helps it either. I have a knee brace, but it’s very uncomfortable to wear, and whether it eases walking seems to be a 50/50 thing.

Now this would be much easier to manage were it not for the fact I can’t afford a car, and so my primary method of transportation is walking and public transit. However, walking hurts. However, I can’t put my life on hold just because my pain levels are consistently between a 5-8 out of 10 (a scale which has gallstones at a pretty solid 10, and post accident recovery at about a 7).

I am therefore coming here in the hopes that someone may be able to provide me with tips and tricks on how to live my life with what, apparently, has become a chronic pain condition that medical professionals don’t seem to take seriously. I am my mother’s caregiver, and do not have the time for this!
      Any help and advice is appreciated. Thank you sincerely.

TPC_YaYa

Hi Soos,

We are sorry to hear the healthcare community has not been of help to you. Sometimes it can be helpful to take a family member or good friend to our healthcare appointments.

It gives the healthcare provider another voice to hear and sometimes hearing from that other person it makes a bigger impact because they can share how the pain and chronic condition is affecting your life.

Keeping a pain journey can also be helpful. It gives the provider something to read and can help them understand the impact of the pain on your life.
      Those who use a journal, write down the level of pain they have throughout the day and what may have helped ease the pain or what caused the pain to spike upwards.

Please do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

TPC YaYa
      TPC Community Moderator
      “The views or opinion(s) contained herein do not necessarily represent those of The Pain Community.”

jmugswife72
      Participant

Hi Soos,

It’s been a while, just wondering how your knee has been? In July, I was starting to do squats and on the first squat I heard a tearing sound in my left knee. It hurt for a brief second and then I thought nothing of it. About a week later my knee started to hurt. Well this is now November and since then my knee has never NOT hurt. I’m in pain when I go to sleep and in pain when I wake. I’ve finally been diagnosed with a left knee effusion (after a CT scan, X-ray and MRI finally showed the fluid) and my doc said go see a Rheumatologist to rule out arthritis. If that’s ruled out then she will drain my knee. So, I was wondering if maybe you need a second or even third opinion. (the first Ortho I went to give me a cortisone shot in September which did absolutely nothing). Knee braces suck, roll down and hurt the back of knee indent, so that’s no help. You are so young and you’ve been living with that pain for so long, I cannot image it. I do notice when I RICE my knee and have it elevated overnight it feels better the next day (I’ve just recently started doing this). So, I think I’m going to try and home-remedy my knee because I’ve seen the videos on YouTube about the aspiration and I’m scared shitless…LOL. Let me know how you’re doing. 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.