Reply To: Chronic Pain Survey

Home Page Forums General Discussions on Pain Chronic Pain Survey Reply To: Chronic Pain Survey

Janice-R
Participant

Thank you for thinking to do a survey on this important topic. It was a little difficult for me as I am a pain management nurse and have directed my pain plan pretty much (my doctor had confidence in me prior to developing persistent pain). It was already noted about the absence of non-pharmacological interventions which many of us use and are an important part of our pain plan. The last question was awkward because I have never had my dose decreased so I don’t know what would happen to my activity level-I am sure it would plummet because my constant pain level would fall into my breakthrough level (which can be horrendous). Four questions I would love to have seen on the survey are 1) what is your primary pain syndrome? There are so many; “chronic pain” is not just one 2) Has your provider ever asked you if you can afford a treatment/medication-this is a huge issue for many, 3) Do providers other than the one managing your pain, give you grief/problems with either believing in your pain or its treatment, 4) If you have been hospitalized for any reason, has your pain plan been maintained as best as possible? You may have noticed my use of provider-we need to remember it may not be a physician but an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician Assistant who is your pain person. Again it is great you are addressing this.