Painiac Shuffle, Move & More

Home Page Forums Wellness Issues Painiac Shuffle, Move & More

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Noki4
      Participant

Are you frustrated about trying to take charge of your life?
      Do you want to eat better, move more and put your pain in the background so you can live life to the fullest?

Come join us, the Painiacs, as we support each other to get healthier and feel better.

TPC_YaYa

I love the title, Painiac Shuffle, Move & More. It lets us know that this discussion has room for laughter.

I look forward to reading and offering support. Having support is the key to success.

I will start it out. I need to cut back eating easy to prepare foods. I am alone through the week. I hate cooking for just me so I tend to go with easy to make tv dinners or pizza. I don’t use the microwave to prepare them, I find they taste better by preparing them in the oven.

Would love to hear from others about easy to make healthy meals for one.

petmom1
        Participant

Yaya: my neighbor buys those salads in a bag and eats 1/2 each day for lunch. You could add some meat, fresh tomatoes, maybe cheese, boiled egg and your favorite dressing for a nice and easy meal. I have discovered the “Flat-Out” bread and make sandwiches with those. They freeze nicely. My favorite pasta dish in the summer is angel hair, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil—toss, add grated cheese, salt and pepper. It is easy to make, good hot or cold and you can eat it for several days, if you like.

petmom1
      Participant

I have found a few phone apps that have been helpful to help me lose weight. So far, 11 pounds down in just over 2 months. Getting new puppies and walking them almost every day (weather permitting) has gotten my energy levels higher too. I really would like to connect with others, see what tips they have to share and start to coach each other as we work hard to change our old habits that are no longer helping. Anyone else game?

marinesargeant
      Participant

Hi Gang!

I am all in on doing this. One of the apps that I have used to good effect is myfitnesspal. They have a website and phone app so you can use this on the go also. Nice thing about this is that it is free 🙂 If you decide to join this, my handle is rsforster215. Request me as a friend and or put your handle here and I will add you. Interested in the apps you use also petmom

petmom1
        Participant

You are the second person who has suggested myfitnesspal. I need to check that out. Right now, I am using 2 apps that one of my physician’s has recommended. My favorite is LoseIt. This app helps me track my food intake and exercise. I can search foods, scan bar codes of food purchased at the grocery store and it logs in your food library as I log it in. I can even look at past meals and tailor what I ate/delete what was not repeated. When I first logged in, I was able to choose how fast I wanted to lose (for example 1/2 pound/week–it tells you how much you can lose in a year, then). The exercise log includes typical exercise and includes yard work, house work, home improvement activities too. What I like, is that if I have gone over or gotten close to going over my daily allowance, I know that I must move–get out and walk or something. It also gives you a running tally of how many calories you are over or under for the week.

marinesargeant
      Participant

Myfitnesspal does the same thing petmom. I will check that one out also to compare and see which one works best for me. the one I have been using has helped me go from 252 down to 194. I had even been lower than that and dropped off the program. I started back up when my jeans started getting too tight lol. Now I need to check out a few things because I think I need to drop another pant size

tndrft001
      Participant

I am so in on this! Even though I have already had a significant weight loss already, I still have a some more to lose. I mainly lost the weight due to a medication change, but I also reduced my portion sizes, cut out soda (pop), and am now moderating my caffeine intake and increasing how much water I drink. For me, a little trick I learned that helps is in dealing with cravings. I used to completely try to deny them by ignoring them, but then would end up gorging myself which isn’t a good thing. So now, instead of denying the craving, I’ll get a small portion. It’s enough to tame the craving and still keep my long term goal in sight.

YaYa, have you ever thought about making your own frozen dinners? Back when I was still working and my kids were in their teens, fixing regular meals was a challenge since I worked 2nd shift. I wanted to make sure they had good, home cooked meals throughout the week, while I was at work, so on the weekends, I would cook up a storm, then freeze individual portions so they could easily thaw it out, pop it in the microwave or pan of boiling water, and they loved it. I also had the satisfaction of knowing they weren’t eating out of a box, which has way more salts and other nasties in them.

Something I really have a hard time with is the moving part. I tend to get discouraged easily because it hurts and because I don’t see immediate results. Logically, I know it takes time and patience, after all, it took me years to gain weight and it’ll take awhile for it to come off, but my vain side (for lack of a better term) wants to see results NOW. So that is what I’m going to need the most help with. Finding ways to move that are low impact and the support to keep me going and resetting goals as I reach them.

I’m hoping, as we go along, those who may want to gain weight or maintain where they are, will join us too. I feel it’s important to do something like this with others. It not only gives you a partner(s) to help hold you accountable for your goals, but they can also encourage you to move and eat healthier so you can reach the goals you’ve set. They can also, gently, tell you if you’ve maybe set an unreasonable goal and help break it down into subgoals that are easier to reach.

I’m really looking forward to working with everyone and know y’all will help me reach whatever goals I’ve set and I hope to be able to do the same for everyone else. 🙂

I am thinking that walking is the easiest for most of us to do. You can do it anytime, anywhere, at your own pace, only need a good pair of tennis shoes and you are off. If you need a walking stick, cane or walker—decorate it and strut your stuff!! Walk your dog, grab your partner, a good friend or a neighbor–then go. You may only walk out to the road at first, but each day you will go farther and feel stronger. If you start now, when the weather is not so severe, it makes it much easier to get into the “groove”. I like to walk in the evening around dusk, so not too hot…….I am not a morning person. Others might like to get it out of the way first thing. Some phone apps are promoting 10,000 steps as a goal—which is ambitious but attainable as long as you do not beat yourself up to get there. Check out Fitbit or Argus.

marinesargeant
      Participant

I also know how hard it can be to start moving and doing things. Especially after 2 surgeries in less than 2 years. The VA has given me several pedometers over the years and I have not found them to work well or last. My fitness pal has an area where I monitor my water intake and that makes it easy to remind myself to drink enough per day. I really need to check out fitbit and can link that to my fitness pal to monitor that easier. As I have stated, myfitnesspal is free and has both a website and app to help me track.

I have to share a success story. I was traveling with my 81 year old cousin to a family reunion over this past weekend. He has rheumatoid arthritis and becoming less steady on his feet. He also told me that he had pulled his hamstring several times over the recent weeks. However, he insists on walking whenever he can as he fears that one he stops, he will lose it forever. When I offered to arrange a wheelchair for the airport, he refused—so we walked to the gate. I remained close to his side, used the people movers and kept a slow pace. He welcomed the rest during the 2 hour flight, but I could tell he was hurting more once we arrived and had to trek over to the car rental. Luckily, we had a new car with heated seats. So, I suggested that he turn on his seat to warm his legs and back while I drove 3 hours to our final destination. He was feeling great when we arrived and he learned a new trick to add to his pain toolbox. He was able to be active over the long weekend, used a heating pad at our cousin’s home in the morning and evening and heated that seat on the return ride back to the airport. His wife was so delighted to learn at our return home that he did so well during our adventure—so am I.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Great discussion! I love the name Painiac Shuffle, Move and More.
      Petmom. I find that walking really intensifies the pain for me. So I choose Water walking as an alternative and I can do 1 hour of water walking and still feel like I can function the rest of the day. Of course year round access to a pool is necessary. My Medicare Advantage plan pays most of the cost..I do a copay of $13/month for access to the Athletic club pool and facility. I find it enjoyable and relaxing (the Hot tub helps afterwards as well) I also meet people there regularly, so it helps with socialization needs. Did you know that 30 minutes of water walking is equal to an hour of walking on land? the resistance of the water plus the low impact on joints makes it ideal for people with pain.

petmom1
      Participant

I wonder if I could sign up a group membership and have my canine crew doggie paddle along side of me. LOL! Great suggestion, Dionetta. I wonder what is working for others. I had good news stepping on the scale this morning–now 12 pounds lighter.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Yay – Petmom!! Don’t think the canine companion would fly at the pool. Here in Yakima – when the Pool closes for the season and before they drain the pool they have a canine fun in the pool day. anyone with a canine pet can bring them for a dip in the pool.

BTW I am down 4 lbs since Mid May. only 25 more to go!!

petmom1
        Participant

Bravo, Dionetta! Take it slow and allow the weight to melt away. It seems frustrating at times, but each day that your clothes loosen just a little more, is proof that you will reach your goal. I hope to drop at least 40 pounds over the next year. I try not to use that as the daily metric though to avoid becoming disillusioned. I am choosing smaller goals to reach, in 5 pound increments. For example, by end of summer, I would like to be less than XXX pounds. Once I reach that goal, I will focus on a new target.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Thanks Petmom, I try not to focus on the number…rather focus on how I feel and when others make comments Like -WOW you look like you are losing wt! I say thank you I feel better. And I only weigh in monthly at my clinic appts. (I do not own a scale) Funny I have been to the clinic more in the past 6 months that I have been in the past 6+ years.
      Setting goals is so important…realistic attainable goals. something to strive for and a feeling of accomplishment when you do reach it.

tndrft001
      Participant

Something my doctor told me a long while back, about losing weight, has always stuck with me and I find, for myself, it helps and that is to remember it took awhile to gain the weight, so it will take awhile to lose it.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

That is so true. It took years to get here -to this point in time. It certainly did not happen overnight. Sometimes it seems that way when we actually “wake up” to the fact of our present circumstances. And as much as we would like to turn back the clock and weigh what we did 10 or 20 or 30 years ago; it it just is not going to happen overnight. That kind of thinking only leads to overwhelm and defeat. Taking a forward look at what we want and then setting realistic, attainable weekly and monthly goals will move us forward slowly but surely. Sometimes it also helps to make a list of what got us to this point in time…what excuses do/did we use to stay stuck in where we are and then what is our vision of our future self. Then find a way to destroy each excuse one by one. And replace each excuse with an intention of how to move forward to attain our goal.

petmom1
      Participant

Ok, color me frustrated. I gained 2 pounds just from taking the weekend off and spending time with friends whom I have not seen for months. This is just plain WRONG.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Oh no Petmom…:( but did you have a good time? was it worth it? do not get discouraged. You can do one of 2 things…sit and analyze the weekend and what you might have done differently to stay on track and still have fun…or you could just chalk it up to a good time and start over today with a renewed sense of determination.

tndrft001
      Participant

I gave up on weighing myself and only do it when I’m in for my checkups. I go more by the feel of my clothes. If my waist band starts feeling like they’re pinching me, I know it’s time to start watching my portion sizes again. 😀

petmom1
      Participant

16 pounds lost and hit my second stalemate. So frustrating. I hate these as they can make you want to throw your hands ups and give up. I am determined not too!

Noki4
        Participant

Don’t give up. You are doing great!

Dionetta Hudzinski
        Participant

Plateaus can be frustrating but they are a fact of life. With time and patience the weight loss will continue. Just keep doing what you have been doing to get to this point. AND know you are not alone…we are cheering you on.

FredFriend
      Participant

Keep moving forward! That is my mantra. One step in front of the other since walking is the most accessible exercise. Wearing a pedometer full time makes it possible track those steps between the bedroom and the kitchen or bathroom as well as the ‘exercise’ or ‘workout’ steps. One of my biggest excuses used to be that the actual movement of walking was painful. So I avoided it. When I realized that no amount of core strength exercises could overcome walking I knew I had to find a way. Thankfully, I’ve learned by doing that if I don’t get at least 5,000 steps in a day I have more pain and feel generally crappy. Just as painful and crappy as if I get more than 15,000 steps in a day. The pedometer got me started and helped me to identify the personalized activity levels I need to be conscious of to be at my most comfortable.

Noki4
      Participant

I totally agree about walking helping to relieve some of our pain. Over the years I discovered for me that the longer I was down…the more stiffness and pain I had. I cannot run a race or walk miles or even several blocks but I can walk around enough to keep some of the stiffness and pain at bay.
      There are days that walking is impossible due to lack of feeling in my legs and feet, it is on those days that by time the evening rolls around I am feeling the stiffness big time and then the pain is not far behind.

We don’t have to run marathons but we must always keep moving forward. The way I see it, as long as I moving forward…I own the pain…the pain does not own me.

Happy walking all,
      Noki4

FredFriend
      Participant

I agree, Noki. It is almost like we are trying to get away from the pain that is chasing us. As long as we are moving forward we keep it at bay. As soon as we stop (by choice or not) that stiffness and pain sets in making it more difficult to get back in front of it.
      Happy walking!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.