Beating the Nicotine Urge

Home Page Forums Wellness Issues Beating the Nicotine Urge

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by STN.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      petmom1
      Participant

The topic of stress, pain and smoking cigarettes was raised during a chat last week. The comments shared were remarkable. Smoking tobacco has been shown to interfere with pain relief and may make existing pain worse. I am sure many of you have heard this remark ” just quit smoking” as it was as simple as that! Quitting cigarettes is one of the most challenging addictions to break. I would love to hear what others have learned or experienced with this effort. I know for me, it took time to realize that I was getting more and more colds and chest congestion that was taking longer to get rid of—my “ah ha” moment. Then I had to wait until the taste of cigarettes was no longer enjoyable (which I would occasionally experience) before taking the leap. I found fighting the urge was hardest when driving home from work or going out with friends—when you were allow to smoke in public places like restaurants and bars. I would say it took close to a year before those urges went away. How about you?

Noki4
      Participant

I have tried to quit several times. It seems I use smoking as a stress reliever. Things go wrong or something happens that is stressful I reach for that cigarette. I have recently tried the ecig and by using that was able to cut way down and thought maybe I would make it that time. Then  one of our beloved pets got ill and passed away and I found myself back to the beginning. I beat myself up all the time about this, I think about it when I pick up a cigarette, I think about when I empty and ashtray or open a new pack. It isn’t that I don’t want to quit, it is as you said, very challenging and I just have not found my “ah ha” moment yet. I am not giving up, I will beat this.

Noki4
      Participant

I found this article and found it to be very interesting. Aniexty and trying to stop smoking. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101025133830.htm

Noki4
      Participant

Well it has happened. I have finally arrived to the mindset that I want to quit. I have tried several times before but never really had it securely in my mind that I really wanted to do it. This time is different….I am there….I want to quit!

Today begins the journey. I am using one of the e-cigarettes to help ease the urge for nicotine.

I will win this battle! Anyone out there want to be my quitting partner? We can do this together!

Noki4
      Participant

I need support, is there any one else out there trying to kick the cigarette habit? This is so hard, in fact one of the harder things I have done. I really do want to quit and the e-cigarette is very helpful but I keep falling off the wagon so to speak.

Any tips that you can give are so welcome.

Noki4
      Participant

Still trying to kick this. Some weeks are better then others and some days are better than others. I just have not found that middle yet to make it all come together. Any tips or suggestions will be so welcomed.

How is it going now, Noki4? Going to every other day yet?

Noki4
        Participant

Still working at it…some days are good and others not so good. I refuse to give up this time, I am going to keep trying until I am successful.

Dionetta Hudzinski
      Participant

Noki4, How are you doing with the smoking cessation journey?
      I have never smoked but I really feel the struggle that others have when trying to quit smoking.
      Beating yourself up is counter productive. Be extra gentle with yourself, Self compassion is so important to our survival and well being. I used to beat myself up for all sorts of things. I learned to stop doing this and now I have a little saying I have posted in various parts of the house. (on my computer screen, on the mirrors, on the inside of cupboard doors) each time I find myself saying something negative to myself about myself I say “I forgive myself for that thought; I chose love instead” It really works. Try it and see what it does for you.

Noki4
      Participant

Hi Dionetta,

It is an ongoing process. I have had some really good weeks and then some really bad weeks. I have not given up and will keep going until I have kicked the habit for good. Thank you for the support.

petmom1
      Participant

Just spent a long weekend with an old friend who turns out to be a chain smoker. My lungs and clothes had a work out just being around her as she smoked in her home, in the car and elsewhere. She did ask if I minded, so I was trying to be gracious as she invited me to her home. Naturally, I say I was fine with it. I did not expect to be living in a tobacco cloud so much, tho. She had another GF arrive the second day who also smokes….not as much, thank goodness. I found myself abandoned several times at restaurants and pubs so they could go outside and smoke more. It became more difficult to overlook and be tolerant, I must confess. My tongue was bleeding from biting it. Finally, I did tell her that she was not only addicted to her cellphone (always on it) but to nicotine too!

I came back home wishing more than ever that Noki, Tndr and their spouses experience the very best of luck and strength as they continue to fight the nicotine battle—may you win BIG!!

Dionetta Hudzinski
        Participant

Petmom, I read your post and identified so much with what you were going through. I used to say oh its OK…I’m fine… But I clearly was not OK and would suffer through it knowing that I would get a headache afterwards and if we were eating and they lite up I would get stomach cramps. And I hated the smell. So after much thought and talking to a counselor I decided I needed to stop being so accommodating. I no longer will allow a smoking cigarette in my air space. I do not have any friends who smoke. and my family members who do smoke know they can not smoke around me. I respect them for respecting my need to be smoke free. My apartment and car are smoke free zones.

Nicotine has to be one of the worst addictions. (glad I never started – I hated the smell and was repulsed by the thought of inhaling it) I have a sister who will quit for months at a time and then go right back to it. One of these days she will be successful. I have decided that I can be supportive when she wants to talk about it. but harping on it does not work at all. But she does not smoke around me…except if we are outside and wind is blowing the smoke away from me.

Noki4
      Participant

When I was out with friends and one of them did not smoke. I would never leave them sitting alone to go out and have a cigarette. Yes the urge is strong but you must choose which is more important, your friend or having a cigarette. I will pick my non-smoking friends every time. There is a big plus to having non-smoking friends — you don’t want to leave them alone so you smoke less when you are with them and around them.

This journey in quitting has it good weeks and bad weeks, but I refuse to stop trying this time. I will keep trying until it works. I figure as long as I am trying to quit something will have to work at some point and it will happen. Thank you, PetMom1 for being one of my cheerleaders, it means the world to me.

Dionetta Hudzinski
        Participant

Noki, I applaud you for choosing your friends over a cigarette. And happy to hear you continue to try to quit.

STN
      Participant

I am a smoker for the past 20 years. I am addicted and really want to quit. Not a fan of e cigarettes due to the nicotine, I have decided to try CBD in a vape pen. It has great natural taste and takes the edge off when the urge arises. Find out more https://bit.ly/2UqJ6wI

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.